Finished Knits round-up

I have been knitting away, but have failed to share any finished objects lately. 

First up, a pair of Ysolda Teague's Wee Envelopes, knitted in Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino in Clotted Cream. The buttons are from stash. I think the darker ones were reclaimed from a pair of combat trousers. The finished garment is very sweet. I find squooshy garter stitch really pleasing for baby knits for its comfort & stretchiness. The pattern is very well written, with an interesting construction, & required just a little attention for the sleeves & yoke. The body section just flies off the needles. These almost matching jumpers will be making their way to two cousins' new babies. The cousins used to dress in matching outfits back in the day!

This hat is based on Woolly Wormheads IGBeanie & is knit using some handspun yarn. (Toddler's choice, it has sparkles - aka angelina!) I changed most of the hat to stocking stitch to try make the most of limited handspun, but this means the hat is not quite as stretchy & flexible as in the original garter stitch design, so I  doubt it will get more than one years' wear. The Small Human is delighted with her little pointed hat ears though! 
Actually knitting up some handspun really shows off my bad spinning habits. I seem to consistently misjudge the thickness/weight of my handspun yarn, and some sections are badly over twisted. I suppose the main lesson here is that I need to actually knit up some handspun more often!

Last up, Cool Kid Hooded Hat by Anna & Heidi Pickles, in Malabrigo Mecha. This wee design is *genius* but the pattern writing could be improved upon. I attempted to reverse engineer the pattern to knit it top-down (and make the most of the yarn) but my addled brain would not, could not cooperate. This is in the 2-4 year size, & is intended for a toddler who refuses to keep hats on (unlike my little model who loves dressing up in knits).
Next knitting; swatches. Lots & lots of swatches.

Comments

Popular Posts